Friday, April 12, 2013

It's A Miracle!

As I mentioned in previous post, I have been researching George Barnes for about 20 years with very little luck. Yesterday I found something! The interesting part of my find is how it came about.

I was on Find-A-Grave (if you haven't been there you should) and looking at a different relative fro the same area (Izard Co Arkansas)  when I noticed someone had left a memorial about having served in the confederate army out of Missouri. I knew he was a Confederate soldier, I have his parole papers, but I knew him as only serving out of Arkansas. So I went to the web site mentioned and found much more than I expected.

I verified my ancestor William Riley Gillihan did serve out of Missouri too and was listed as being from Izard Co Arkansas. Then I noticed a lot of these men were from Izard county so I decided to read all the names and THERE HE WAS - GEORGE W BARNES! I have so little on him so I was super excited and stayed up way past bed time researching him.

Immediately went to Fold3 and saw he was also captured and imprisoned. His name is so common I am not sure if he is one of the many George Barnes also listed as Union soldiers after his capture - some signed oaths of allegiance, some were killed, some traded sides. The regiment he was in had an interesting story and fought at the battle of Pea Ridge - a kinda famous Confederate battle site in Arkansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment